Rhinoplasty or nose reshaping can make a huge impact on how you feel about your profile and appearance, whether you’re seeking a subtle alteration or aiming for a dramatic change.
Why choose rhinoplasty?
As a prominent feature, the nose helps to set the character of the face and defines your profile. It’s for this reason that rhinoplasty, septoplasty and nose reshaping are among the most common cosmetic surgery procedures carried out. For many individuals, the surgery gives the nose they feel they should have been born with or corrects a bump, bend or other deformity brought about by an accident. The ultimate goal of this procedure is to create facial balance that helps you feel more confident and content.Back to face Surgery
What can rhinoplasty achieve?
- Reduce or increase the size of your nose
- Change the the nose shape or your nostril span
- Alter the angle between your nose and upper lip
- Correct an injury that has left a bump, crook or bend
- Relieve some breathing problems
- Reduce a bulbous nose tip
- Fix depressions on the bridge
- Shorten long or upturned noses
What are the alternatives to rhinoplasty?
For those who want to correct a bulbous nose tip, rhinotip surgery is a less invasive procedure that can be carried out without the bone of the nose being altered in any way. This means no plaster splint is required for the healing period. You may also want to consider the use of fillers in circumstances where you would like to change the shape or broaden the nose in specific areas.
Before your rhinoplasty
Establishing good communications between you and your surgeon and clinic team is an essential component of relaxed and comfortable surgery and this starts with your consultation.
During you consultation you will:
- Have the opportunity to explain your reasons for seeking surgery
- Be given time to ask advice and pose questions to Dr Cotrufo
- Undergo a health evaluation and nose and face assessment
- Discuss the options that are open to you, including costs and timescales
In the run up to your procedure and in the days immediately before surgery you may be asked to make lifestyle changes or to avoid or take particular medication.
This may include:
- Taking medical tests including blood tests
- Stopping smoking
- Adjusting or taking certain medications
- Avoiding aspirin, herbal supplements and anti-inflammatory drugs
The rhinoplast procedure
- Under general anaesthesia a rhinoplasty will usually last around two hours, though this will of course depend on the complexity of the procedure.
- Your surgeon may reshape your nose through closed rhino surgery, without disturbing nose skin or open, making small incisions between your nostrils.
- When you wake, you will find a splint applied to the outside of your nose to help it maintain its new shape.
- Nasal tampons or packing will be placed in your nostrils.
The earlobe surgery procedure
- Earlobe surgery usually takes under an hour depending on the extent of the correction
- Earlobe repair is normally performed under local anaesthetic
- Your surgeon will rebuild your earlobe, giving it as natural an appearance as possible
- Fine sutures are used to support healing skin and minimise scarring
After your rhinoplasty
Immediately after your surgery you will not be able to breathe through the nose and you may experience swelling and bruising around the eyes. It is likely that you will required to stay overnight at the clinic.
- You will usually be able to remove your nasal tampons after 24 hours
- Your splint should remain in place for around two weeks
- Swelling should subside in 7-14 days after your nose surgery
Still have rhinoplasty questions that you’d like answered?
Dr Cotrufo is an expert in cosmetic surgery and reconstructive microsurgery. In particular, he specialises in carrying out surgeries to the face such as rhinoplasty as well as procedures for the neck and breast areas. If you would like to discuss nose surgery procedures and the before and aftercare you can expect to receive should you choose to undergo rhinoplasty or nose reshaping at his clinic, please call 0207 873 2330 to organise a consultation.