Using a variety of techniques, cosmetic surgery can help improve the appearance of scars, making them less obvious in appearance through scar revision surgery.
Why scar revision surgery?
If you have a scar caused by an accident, acne, surgery or a burn, you may experience discomfort or a lack of confidence, particularly if the scar is in a prominent place on your face or body. Scar surgery can lessen their appearance, helping you to feel more comfortable in your own skin.Back to Body Surgery
What can scar removal surgery achieve?
- Lessen the appearance of scars caused by acne
- Make scars caused by burns or other accidents less noticeable
- Make keloids less noticeable
Is there an alternative to scar revision surgery?
Creams and injections can also be used to lessen the appearance of scars; your surgeon will be able to advise on the most appropriate treatment(s) for your individual circumstances.
What to expect before your scar removal procedure
It’s incredibly important to establish good communications with your surgeon so that you feel as relaxed and comfortable as possible before, during and after surgery. This process will begin with your consultation when you will be able to talk with Dr Cotrufo about your personal circumstances.
During you consultation you will:
- Talk through your reasons for seeking scar revision
- Learn more about the options open to you
- Discuss the procedure and pose questions to Dr Cotrufo
- Find out about preparation and aftercare
- Have a full health evaluation
- Have an assessment of your scar(s)
- Talk about timescales and costs
To ensure you are in the best possible health as your surgery approaches you may be asked to make some small changes to your day-to-day life such as avoiding particular activities or medications.
This may include:
- Taking a blood test or other medical tests
- Stopping smoking
- Adjusting or taking certain medications
- Avoiding aspirin, herbal supplements and anti-inflammatory drugs
- Refraining from drinking alcohol
- Avoiding sun overexposure, particular to the area for revision
- Committing not to make stringent changes to your diet
If a general anaesthetic is to be used you be given fasting instructions to follow.
Scar revision procedures
- Scar revision surgery generally takes between 30 minutes and an hour depending on the extent of the work required and the number of procedures being carried out at once
- The type of scar will decide the process required for scar revision
- Contracture type, surgery generally involves removing scar tissue entirely
- Keloids tend to be treated with steroid injections, though a skin graft may also be used
- A course of steroid injections is also the usual treatment for hypertrophic scars, though stubborn scarring may also require surgery
- Facial scar revision may involve cutting out the scarred area and closing with tiny sutures, though laser scar surgery may also be performed
- Serious scarring is often treated with skin graft or flap surgery with skin moved from another part of the body to cover the affected area, depending on the severity, several procedures may be required
After your scar revision surgery
You may be required to stay overnight after scar revision. The length of your stay in the clinic will be determined by the process used.
- Your exact healing process will vary according to which procedure(s) you have undergone
- You should start walking as soon as you feel able
- Generally, swelling and bruising will subside around 7-14 days after surgery
- You will need to keep your wound area dry and it may need to be covered with bandages or other support for some time
- Any sutures will usually be removed 7-14 days after surgery
- Saunas, steam baths and sunbathing will need to be avoided for several months
- All strenuous exercise including heavy lifting should be avoided for around 1 month
- You should omit hot and spicy foods from your diet for a period of around 1 month
- Scars may take upwards of six months to settle and fade
- You will attend aftercare appointments with Dr Cotrufo, who will also be available to discuss your progress via telephone should you require any advice during the healing period
Still have questions about scar revision?
Choosing to have scar revision or scar surgery is a very personal decision, so it’s only natural you will have questions about the procedures open to you and what they involve. Dr Stefano Cotrufo is a cosmetic surgery and reconstructive microsurgery expert who has worked in some of the leading plastic surgery hospitals in the world. Should you want to discuss your suitability for scar revision or talk about the care you can expect to receive before, during and after your treatment at our clinic, please call 0207 873 2330 to organise a personal consultation.