Prominent, rounded cheeks can make the whole face appear fuller, so individuals appear fatter than they really are. Buccal fat removal helps to contour the face, reducing the appearance of chubby cheeks.
Why choose buccal fat removal?
A genetic predisposition to having chubby cheeks may make it difficult to achieve face definition even with diet and exercise, buccal fat removal contours the face, helping to achieve facial balance.Back to face Surgery
What are the benefits of buccal fat removal?
- Makes the cheeks appear less prominent
- Helps provide facial definition
- Correction of ‘chipmunk’ or ‘chubby’ cheeks
Is there an alternative to buccal fat removal?
Buccal fat removal is a relatively simple surgery, however, your surgeon will be able to advise if a different procedure or combination of procedures would be more suited to your goals.
What to expect before your buccal fat removal surgery
No matter how simple the procedure, surgery is a very personal process and ensuring you feel happy and comfortable during your journey starts with good communications between you and your surgeon. This relationship will begin to be established during your consultation when you will have the chance to talk directly with Dr Cotrufo.
During you consultation you will:
- Discuss your reasons for seeking buccal fat pad removal
- Ask Dr Cotrufo questions and learn more about the procedure
- Have a full health evaluation
- Talk about the procedure and the aftercare you will receive
- Have a facial assessment
- Discuss other surgical and non-surgical options that may be open to you
- Talk about costs and timescales
As your surgery approaches you man be asked to make some small lifestyle and told to avoid particular activities and medications.
This may include:
- Taking medical tests including blood tests
- Stopping smoking
- Adjusting or taking certain medications
- Avoiding aspirin, herbal supplements and anti-inflammatory drugs
- Refraining from drinking alcohol
- Avoiding sun overexposure, particular to the face
- Committing not to make stringent changes to your diet
If a general anaesthetic is to be used during surgery you will need to follow fasting instructions.
The buccal fat removal procedure
- Cheek reduction surgery usually takes around 1 hour, depending on the extent of the work and whether multiple procedures are being combined
- Incisions are made inside your mouth and the unwanted fat removed
- Absorbable sutures will be used to close the incisions
After your buccal fat removal
Once you have been released from the clinic you may want a friend or relative to drive you home.
- You should start walking around as soon as possible
- You should take it easy for the first week after surgery and take time off work
- You will need to keep your head as still as possible and elevated in the days immediately after surgery
- On the second day after surgery you should be able to shower with slightly warm water
- Any bruising in and around the cheek area should subside in 7-14 days
- The sutures used in your mouth will gradually dissolve
- You will need to avoid hot drinks and food, spicy, crunchy and acidic foods in the weeks following surgery and should not consume items that may contain high amounts of bacteria
- Vigorous exercise of all kinds should be avoided for around one month
- You will need to avoid steam baths, saunas and sunbathing for several weeks
- An aftercare schedule will be provided for you and you will need to attend appointments with Dr Cotrufo, who will monitor your progress
Still have questions about buccal fat removal?
Dr Stefano Cotrufo is an expert in plastic surgery and reconstructive microsurgery. He particularly specialises in carrying out procedures to the neck and the face, such as buccal fat removal surgery. If you have any further questions about earlobe surgery and whether it would be suitable for you or would like to discuss the level of service and aftercare you would receive at the clinic, please call 0207 873 2330 to organise a consultation.